Monday, July 19, 2010

Weekend of accomplishments!

Wow- what a weekend! Our little famliy unit was super busy. First and most importantly- Jack started walking (with assistance)! So exciting but I have to say I am a little bit nervous about this new talent.
Friday rolls around and Ryan rolls in an almost brand spanking new BBQ! He scouted out Craigslist for the past few weeks and stumbled upon a deal he couldn't pass up. Brand new gas-powered Weber grill STILL IN THE BOX for $200??? Gotta love Craigslist. Could Ry wait until we moved to assembled it? I think not...
But at least he resisted the urge to fire it up. There's just something about putting a jug of propane on a moving truck that makes me just a little uncomfortable... BUT Can't wait to use it!
Friday night we tried out a new recipe that will definitely go into our meal rotation- Green Chili Burgers YUM. Combination of anahiem and jalapenos gave the burgers a great south-west flavor and a good but not overpowering spice-although I think I would minus one jalapeno if I was making this for company. We used the recipe from Cook's Country magazine by America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated- my favorite magazine! Here is the picture from the website- ours looked pretty much the same :)
Saturday I finally got a chance to volunteer. After noticing all I talk about is Jack, I started to look around for volunteering opportunities. I found a perfect fit- an environmental health sampling crew. I signed up, went to training and as luck would have it Ryan was put on a project where he travels and of course the sampling days are all during the week- bummer... So after a month of sampling the team went to the lab to identify and count what they found- I was actually able to go woohoo! Never realized spending 4 hours with a macroscope could be so refreshing... snails, leeches, beetles oh my!
That evening we headed over to a friends house for an awesome dinner, a few games of pool and watching weather channel for tornado warnings- you know the usual Minnesota cook out. Oh did I mention this is our weather man??? Of course we love the weather channel. I heart Sven.

 (Image source: Citypages)
OK drum roll.... Sunday! I finally ran my 5 mile race. 52:32. Not my goal of 50 minutes but its the fastest I've run it so far so I'm happy with it. Go me!

Sunday dinner- Huli Huli chicken- recipe also from Cooks Country. It was a lot of dirty dishes but turned out oh-so-good. Ryan and I make a great grill'n team.

Oh and did I mention throughout all of that- we (as in Ryan) packed the guest room, his closet and miscellanous kitchen stuff? I feel so much better about moving now that we are starting the packing now :) And of course I will end this post with a Jack fix- I love my little joobers.

No comments:

Post a Comment